In our continuing effort to be environmentally responsible and to make life a little easier for our families, GDS offers several morning transportation options, including two intercampus morning buses, as well as the Hop2It bus service in the afternoons to the Bethesda Pool. The most up-to-date bus information, including stops and pick-up and drop-off times, is available on the parent resource board GDS Buses.
Please note that additional routes, including afternoon routes, will be added for the 2020-21 school year.
GDS BUS SERVICE REGISTRATION
While bus service will be free for the 2019-20 school year, registration for busses is required to ensure a seat on the bus. Registration for busses will be available on SchoolPass starting in August. Families who set their default arrival information to the bus will get priority in ridership. Families are requested to change their SchoolPass status when their child will not be riding to enable other children to ride as drop-ins. If the bus is full and your child is registered for a bus on a specific day of the week but does not show up for three consecutive weeks, we reserve the right to charge you and will contact you about changing your child’s registration status to enable other students to ride in your child’s place.
Because there are a limited number of seats available on each bus, drop-in ridership is not a guarantee. If seats are available, drop-ins may be reserved at no charge through SchoolPass. If space allows, for morning busses only, we may allow an unregistered child to ride the bus and be manually registered, for which a drop-in fee will be charged. The first unregistered drop-in ride, will be allowed at no cost. The second will incur a fee of $15, the third a fee of $30, the fourth a fee of $60, and a fee of $90 for every subsequent unregistered drop-in on the bus. Play dates must also register as a drop-in for the bus.
EXPECTATIONS FOR MORNING BUS ROUTES
GDS expects that a parents or other authorized adult will be present at drop-off until the child is on the bus. GDS does not take any responsibility for children left unattended at bus stops until the bus has arrived and the student has entered the bus. It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to ensure the safety of their child until that point.
DELAYED OPENINGS AND INCLEMENT WEATHER
In case of a delayed opening, the Morning buses will often still run on the same delay as the school; however, please check the website for details and specific times as this may vary depending on the reason for the delay.
Each bus route may have specific rules related to pick up and drop-off locations.
In addition, the following rules and procedures relate to riding all GDS busses. We appreciate your talking through these rules as a family and ensuring that you and your children understand and agree to follow them. This is both for safety reasons and to ensure that your child gets on the bus and that the bus departs on time. Students must behave in accordance with the School’s community guidelines (including showing care, respect, and responsibility at all times). In addition, all rules that apply to students on any other trip apply on morning and afternoon bus routes.
- NO FOOD OR DRINK may be consumed on the bus ( exception: bottled water).
- Remain seated, facing forward at all times.
- Follow the instructions of the bus driver and/or the bus chaperone the first time they are given.
- Use “indoor voices.”
- Nothing goes out the bus windows—arms, legs, voices, trash, etc.
- No running near or climbing under the buses. If something is dropped next or under the bus, notify an adult who will get it.
Should students be unable to follow the guidelines listed above, they will be given three warnings, with parents informed as needed. Following the third warning, children may temporarily or permanently lose the privilege of riding the bus, with no refunds given.
HOP2IT SPECIFIC RULES
Students riding the Hop2It bus:
- Should report to the assigned classroom immediately after the bell rings where they will be checked in for the bus.
- Must remain in the assigned classroom except to walk with the assigned teacher to the bus.
- May do their homework or engage in seated games while waiting for the bus.
Hop2It parents should be aware of the following:
- As part of carpool, students will wait approximately 20 minutes from the second bell dismissal before boarding the bus. The bus leaves promptly at 3:40 pm (cell phone time).
- The Hop2It bus cannot wait for delayed MS athletics buses to return to campus.
- If you are running late, please call LMS Reception at 202-295-6200 with an estimated arrival time. The bus will wait at the Bethesda pool parking lot until 4:10 p.m. (3:10 p.m. on Wednesdays). Students not picked up by this time will be brought back to the LMS and charged a drop-in fee.