The primary responsibility of the Georgetown Day School counselors is to provide social and emotional support and guidance for the school community. Our foremost goal is to promote a positive and supportive environment for learning, social responsibility, and child and adolescent development.
GDS counselors work with students individually and in groups. In addition, we partner with families, teachers, administrators, student support team members, and outside mental health professionals to provide consistent service and support for students and to assess and address mental health needs that arise.
On a day-to-day basis, GDS counselors provide:
- Short-term counseling
- Mental health assessments
- Ongoing support and coaching
- Consultation with faculty and staff, parents, outside mental health professionals, etc.
- Referrals to community mental health resources
- Given the developmental needs of students, counselors may provide additional services specific to the divisions.