Each spring, GDS hosts a STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) conference.
The conference brings students and faculty from DC-area independent, public, and charter schools together to discuss and participate in STEAM education. A central mission of the event is to promote engagement of underrepresented groups in STEAM disciplines.
GDS is holding its 8th annual conference around science, technology, engineering, arts, and math.
Friday, March 8, 2019
8:15 AM – 1:00 PM
@ GDS High School
Kirin Sinha '11
Kirin Sinha is the founder and CEO of Illumix, a Lightspeed and Maveron backed augmented reality gaming and technology company focused on developing adaptive and immersive experiences for the mobile phone. Previously, she founded SHINE for Girls, a national nonprofit targeted at encouraging middle school girls to pursue the study of mathematics. Kirin is a Marshall Scholar and holds Masters degrees with honors in mathematics and statistics focused on machine learning, specifically computer vision, from the University of Cambridge and LSE respectively. She received a degree in electrical engineering / computer science and mathematics from MIT, and her MBA from Stanford University. She graduated from GDS in 2011.
A STEMbassador is a GDS student ambassador for STEAM education. STEMbassadors have a strong passion for science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics and want to share that passion with other students. A STEMbassador believes that every student deserves a quality STEAM education and every qualified STEAM professional deserves the same opportunity to a career no matter her or his color or gender.
- Sponsor STEAM professionals to speak to GDS students about their careers, spanning medicine to computer game development
- Reach out to STEAM businesses such as NeuStar and Microsoft for advice and mentorship for a STEAM career
- Explore ways to incorporate the arts into STEAM education, such as including graphic design in STEAM curriculum
- Investigate the use of computer games to teach elementary and middle school students
- Help plan and conduct our STEAM conferences every March inviting students and teachers from high schools in the DC metropolitan area
High School Science Teacher
Director of Innovation & Technology
Assistant Principal for School Life, High School Science Teacher, High School Men's Soccer Varsity Head Coach
High School Mathematics Department Chair
High School Studio Arts Teacher
High School Innovation & Computer Science Teacher and Maker-In-Residence