College counseling at Georgetown Day School mirrors how we, as a school, encourage students to learn. We believe that the college process is a wonderful adventure of self discovery and personal growth, and we encourage students to navigate it from a place of empowerment, not fear, resulting in a healthy college search and application experience. Our approach lays the foundation for students to apply to colleges that meet their individual needs and ultimately join a college community in which they will thrive.
Through authentic self-reflection, we encourage students to articulate their talents, communicate effectively, and engage in thoughtful decision-making, and we guide them and empower them to accomplish the required tasks along the way.
A successful college process at Georgetown Day School is about students:
- Believing in their own ability to navigate a complex process
- Articulating who they are (in flux) and who they want to become
- Developing goals for the college experience beyond admission
- Making decisions grounded in their own values
- Building skills for success beyond high school and college such as: self reflection, resilience, and decision-making
- Celebrating good matches and each other’s individual choices