Georgetown Day School’s two campuses offer a variety of opportunities for members of the community to utilize our space. The School’s priorities for space use are: 1) curricular; 2) student, family, alumni, faculty and staff, and other members of our community; and 3) external individuals and groups who would like use the space consistent with the School’s mission and philosophy.
If you are interested in using space at GDS:
- Complete the form OR call 202-295-6179 with your event details, including:
- type of space you need
- type of event you plan to host
- date and time of your event
- If we can accommodate your request, we will send an event-specific memorandum of understanding and a standard facilities-use agreement (example available at right) for you to fill out and return.
- The agreement will state the usage fee and security deposit (10% of the usage fee) due in advance, at least 7 days before your requested date. Most rentals require a minimum fee of $185/hour. The security deposit will be returned upon successful completion of the event.
- Our contract requires proof of insurance for all use of the space.
- Please expect a minimum two-week turn-around time for all space requests.
- Large Meeting Spaces
- HS Forum and Internet Cafe
- Gym Use
- Athletic Fields
- Black Box Theaters
- Dance Studio
- Wrestling Rooms
- Tutoring At GDS
The Lower Middle School Campus has two such spaces: our Multipurpose Room and Black Box Theater. The Multipurpose Room includes a kitchen and supplies for our after-school program, and therefore may not be apropriate for all meeting types.
The High School Campus has a variety of spaces for different sized groups. There are 2 classrooms that can accommodate about 25 individuals or more. There are several open spaces that can accommodate 75 people in an informal setting. The Wrestling Room and Internet Cafe can accommodate 100-150 people and the Forum can accommodate about 275 people.
Rates for these rooms vary from $75-$160/hour.
The High School Forum and Internet Cafe are lovely sites for lectures, conferences, and large gatherings. The Forum consists of a large set of stairs and landings that can seat approximately 450 students (and maximum of 275 people when chairs are set up). Up to 12 tables can be set up on the landings of the Forum itself. It is equipped with a podium, projector, and microphone.
The Forum generally costs $150/hour and the Internet Cafe usually costs $85/hour. If you intend to use our podium, projector, and/or microphones, we may require you to hire a GDS technical support person to ensure that you are properly set up.
The HS Gym is available for outside use from mid-February through June only (on weeknights beween 7:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.), and includes many black-out dates due to high school events.
Generally speaking, gym rentals must adhere to the following guidelines:
- We will only allow outside groups to use the LMS gym on Saturdays and Sundays if we have a minimum 4 hour period.
- We do not allow one-time use; we prefer a minimum 6–8 week ongoing use agreement.
- The School may limit the number of hours each team may use the facility to maximize use by GDS families in order to allow for greater access for all.
- The gym is available for outside use for athletic purposes only.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times.
- All participants (children and adults) must have a signed waiver to play.
- Access to other areas of the school are not permitted (including weight rooms, the track, classrooms, etc.)
- GDS will not furnish any athletic equipment.
- Insurance and a signed contract are required.
- We provide a discounted rate for GDS families, when the GDS family member agrees to sign the contract and be present at all practices and games.
- Fees for use of space are not tax-deductible.
For all of our outside athletic groups, a single misuse of the space may result in the entire agreement being canceled. We are highly conscious of the fact that the gymnasium is the School's PE classroom and expect it to be used and left in the same condition in which it was left by our teachers.
The usage rate for the Lower Middle School Gym is $150/hour and the High School Gym rate is $210/hour.
During the school year, our High School Black Box Theater is not available for use because it is used daily and nightly by students. However, it is available for outside use during the summer. Rates will vary depending on the use and length of the use. The High School Black Box hourly rate is typically $315/hour, though a daily rate may be negotiable.
In most cases, outside use of our theaters requires use of a GDS-approved technical theater support person.
We recognize that our students and families sometimes make a decision to receive tutoring services. We encourage all tutors to work hand-in-hand with our learning specialists.
To ensure that adults working on campus are held to the same standards as GDS staff members, we require a background check, a TB test, a certificate of insurance, and a signed memorandum of understanding from all tutors working with GDS students on campus. We also ask that tutors pay a $250/semester registration fee. We do not allow tutors to work with non-GDS students on campus.
For futher information about tutoring on campus, please contact the appropriate divisional learning specialists.
- Do you allow outside groups to use space for parties or galas?
- Do you allow outside groups to use space during the school day?
- Do you require a security deposit?
- When are fees due?
- Are your rates all standard?
- If School events take priority, will my event get canceled?
- May we serve food or use a caterer?
- May we serve alcohol at our event?
- Are dogs and other pets permitted on campus?
- Do you allow religious or political groups to use your facilities?
It is very rare that we cannot accomodate a scheduled event in another location. However, school events – scheduled or otherwise – take priority over rental events. If an event is scheduled, but a school meeting of high priority comes up and cannot be accommodated elsewhere, a rental may be cancelled or postponed at the School’s discretion.
GDS is happy to allow food and can recommend caterers whom we regularly use. We do not have a cafeteria, nor do we have kitchen facilities, so it is best to bring prepared food. In order to ensure the health of our students, we do restrict certain foods in different spaces due to food-allergies. Food and drink are never permitted in our Black Box Theaters, dance, technology, science, or athletic spaces.